Saturday, March 17, 2012
Cardfight Vanguard - Basic Rules
And here are the basic rules for a standard cardfight, there are things called flash fights and follow an entirely different set of rules.
Building a Deck:
A deck can only consist of 50 cards.
You can only have up to a number of 4 of the same cards.
You must put in 16 Trigger Units, no more and no less.
You win by achieving either of these conditions:
- Inflict 6 points of damage to the Opponent's Vanguard.
- Your opponent runs out of cards to draw during his/her draw phase.
Starting a Game
- Place a Grade 0 unit face-down on the Vanguard Circle. That card is the First Vanguard.
- Decide who goes first
- Both players draw 5 cards.
If the player doesn't like their hand, they can reshuffle any number of unwanted cards
back to the deck and redraw till they get a total of 5 cards again in their hand.
You can only mulligan once per game.
(Helpful tip: I'm most cases you will want to draw into a grade 1, 2 and 3 so you are assured of being able to ride p to grade 3 asap, assuming that that is what you are after)
Stand Up Vanguard!!
Declare "Stand Up!!" and reveal your vanguard to start the game.
The person who chose to start off with the first turn cannot declare attack
during that turn.
(Helpful Tip: So units that can be rested to call other rear guards or can discard hand cards to draw are always a good choice since you can't rest to attack this turn)
Any of your Rested (landscape oriented) Units switch to Stand (portrait oriented) position.
Draw 1 card from your Deck.
You can place over your Vanguard with a unit that's either the same Grade or higher by 1 Grade.
You can only do this once per turn, unless you have unit(s) with ability that allow you to do addition ride(s).
- Call: Place a Unit with a Grade either the same as the Vanguard's or lower in the Rear Area.
You can Call as many times as you want in 1 turn.
- Unit Ability: You can activate any ability that allows you to do so in the main phase. Some abilities may allow you to activate them in the battle phase.
You can move the Rear Guard back and forward (You cannot move your Rear Guards to the left or right). This applies to the Rear Guard Circles on the left and right. But if a Unit is on the Circle behind the Vanguard, it cannot move at all.
- Attack: Put your Unit to Rest to initiate an attack.
Then declare the target of your attack that's on the Front Row of the Opponent's.
- Guardian Call: When being attacked, you can Call a Guardian to protect the Unit with its Shield effect.
You can call as many Guardians in 1 turn as you can.
But when the battle ends, all Guardians retire and the Unit that was attacked has its Power
reverted to normal.
- Drive Check: When the attacking Unit is a Vanguard, you perform a Drive Check.
Reveal the top card of your Deck. If it is a Trigger Unit, and is of the same Clan as your Vanguard
or a Rear Guard on the field, its Trigger effect activates. Afterward, that card is sent to the Hand.
- Battle Outcome: When comparing Power, if the Attacking Unit's Power is equal to or higher than its target, the attack is a success.
If the target was a Rear Guard, it retires and is sent to the Drop Zone.
If the target was a Vanguard, you calculate the damage to the Opponent by counting its Critical value.
The player receiving the damage, sends that same amount of cards from their Deck to their Damage Zone.
If a Trigger Card was revealed during the damage and is of the same Clan as your Vanguard or a Rear Guard on the field, its Trigger effect activates and is then sent to the Damage Zone.
There is no demerit to when it comes to failing an attack.
End of Attack Phase
Guardians that were called are moved to the Drop Zone.
If there are Units on the Front Row that can still attack, you can attack again with them.
Declare it and repeat the process.
Declare the end of your Turn before switching to the Opponent's turn.
Cost is depicted by an icon of two rectangles (white and black) with an arrow point from the white to the black followed by a number. You pay costs by taking the same amount as the number indicated next to the icon, of cards from the top of the Damage Zone, and by flipping them face down.
Types of Costs
Note: (X) refers to the number of cards
- Counterblast (X): To activate a Counter Blast ability, flip face-up cards in your Damage Zone face down equal to the number X.
- Soulcharge: Place the top card of your deck at the bottom of the stack of cards underneath your Vanguard.
- Soulblast (X): Move cards from stack of cards underneath your Vanguard equal to the number X to the Drop Zone,
- Discard (X): Discard the number (X) from your hand to the Drop Zone.
- Rest: Rest the unit.
Note: For trigger effect to activate, you must have at least 1 unit that is of the same clan on the field as the unit that has the trigger effect.
Trigger effect cannot be activated from hand.
If a Trigger Icon is absent, no effect is activated.
You must choose which unit of yours to receive the trigger boost before checking for the next trigger (in multiple trigger checks, e.g. Twin Drive!! effect).
Trigger effects are compulsory to activate.
- Draw (Red 引 icon): When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000 Power, and draw 1 card. This draw can happen regardless if it was flipped in a damage or a drive check.
- Critical (Yellow star icon): When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000 Power, and select 1 of your own again and it gains +1 Critical.
Power and Critical gains may be applied to different units.
- Heal (Green 治 icon): When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000. When the damage you've received is equal or more than the Opponent's, you can heal 1 point of damage by replacing this card with one of the cards in the Damage Zone. The replaced card will go to the Drop Zone. You cannot put more than 4 Heal Triggers in a deck.
- Stand (Blue 醒 icon): When revealed during a Drive Check or Damage Check, select 1 of your own Units and it gains +5000. Select 1 Rear Guard that is in Rest and Stand it.
- Boost (3 arrows point upwards): Grade 0 and 1 Units have this ability.
When declaring an attack with this Unit behind the attack, put this Unit to Rest and add its power to
- Intercept (tick-like symbol): Grade 2 Units have this ability.
When other Units are being attacked, this Unit can move to the Guardian Zone and become its Guardian.
Afterward it's treated as if it was Called as a Guardian.
- Twin Drive!! (2 intersecting arrows): Grade 3 Units have this ability.
As a Vanguard, it's able to Drive Check twice.
[永] = [Continuous]: This ability will activate during either player's turn (unless it says otherwise) as long as the unit is on the field.
You cannot choose not to activate this ability, unless otherwise stated.
[起] = [Startup]: This ability can only be activated during your main phase.
You can choose to activate or not activate this ability.
You may activate this ability multiple times in your main phase, unless otherwise stated.
[自] = [Auto]: This is a compulsory ability and will activate as long as the condition(s) are met.
However, You may choose to activate the effect or not,
only if (you may~) is written in the text.